Communist China Pledges Support To W. Pakistan

Communist China pledged yesterday to oppose any involvement by India in the Pakistani civil war.

In a message to President Agha Mohammed Yahya Khan of Pakistan, Chinese Premier Chou En-lai said, "Should the Indian expansionists dare to launch aggression against Pakistan, the Chinese government and people will as always offer support to safeguard the state's integrity and national independence."

Chou did not describe what would be the extent of his country's support.

The Chinese statement followed Pakistani claims that it destroyed two companies of Indian troops in East Pakistan. India denied the claims yesterday as "false, baseless and mischievous."

In Dacca, East Pakistan, up to 6000 people have been killed in the West Pakistani drive to crush rebel forces, observers reported. At least 24 city blocks have been destroyed since March 26, the Associated Press said.

"In the teeming working-class districts, soldiers roam through a black wilderness of ashes and charred bamboo stumps. It is all that remains of the flimsy homes where thousands of families lived," an AP reporter in Dacca said.

Dacca University has been closed by the fighting in Dacca. Three hundredto five hundred students have been killed while opposing the West Pakistani army.

A statement urging West Pakistan to stop military operations in the East and circulated at Harvard by Robert Dorfman, professor of Economics, was published in the Washington Post yesterday.

"There has been no time for any reaction," Dorfman said last night. "We issued that statement because it is futile for the West to continue. It can't hope to subjugate 75 million East Pakistanis," Dorfman said.