Krause Wins Two Awards As Swimmer

Steve Kranse won both the Eugene Wyman Trophy as the top point-scorer in dual meets and a special prize from the Friends of Harvard Swimming at last night's swimming banquet at the Varsity Club.

Five other major awards were presented at the dinner. which was the last one for retiring head coach Bill Brooks. He will be honored at a testimonial dinner April 23 at the Harvard Club of Boston.

Krause, who swam in only eight meets. collected 72 points to win the Wyman Trophy for the second time in three seasons, Captain Mike Cahalan was the recipient last year. Krause took nine firsts and scored 13 points in three different meets.

Last night. Cahalan won the Harold Ulen Trophy for "best demonstrating those qualities of leadership, sportsmanship, and team cooperation as exemplified by Harold Ulen." Harvard's head coach for 27 years. Cahalan was a two-year captain.

Rumford Niles

The other senior award. the Stowell Trophy for a senior who has shown great improvement during his Harvard career. was given to John Burris. a backstroker. Later, Burris was honored with the Rumford Niles Award for Bullshit.

Junior Dave Silver won the William Brooks Trophy for the best diver for the second time.

Two others besides krause received awards from the Friends of Harvard Swimming. Peter Bernbaum, who was not a member of the team, was recognized for his three years of organizational work in the swimming program at Perkins School for the Blind in Watertown.

Larry Santapeaul won an award for his devoted service as an official at IAB meets.