Harvard Charges Nine Persons With Disruption of Teach-In

By Michael S. Feldserg

The Administration yesterday charged nine persons, "at least eight of whom are Harvard students," with violation of the Resolution on Rights and Responsibilities for their participation in the disruption of the March 26 "Counter Teach-In" sponsored by the Students for a Just Peace (SJP).

The University's disciplinary authority over the ninth individual is uncertain, but he has been charged in East Cambridge District Count with disturbing an assembly. University officials yesterday declined to identify any of the nine persons.

Small Total

An Administration statement yesterday emphasized that although the investigation is not yet complete, "there is every reason to believe that the total number of charges will not be large."

The statement cited difficulties in making reliable identifications of disrupters and in obtaining evidence of intentional disruption, adding that "... the most active leaders in the disruption seem not to have been Harvard students."

University troubleshooter Archibald Cox '34 confirmed yesterday that the main reason so few students have been charged is the difficulty in identifying disrupters.

Cox said a UPI film of the Counter Teach-In, purchased by the University to aid in identifying disrupters, "did not show the entire proceedings." He added that because not all Allston Burr Senior Tutors were at the Counter Teach-In, the difficulty in making identifications was increased.

The Administration also announced that Vern Countryman, professor of Law, and Walter A. Reiser, director of the Legal Method Program, have agreed to present evidence on the charges to the CRR.

Contacted yesterday, Countryman declined comment on the nine cases, saying, "It would be improper to comment in advance on the weight or content of the evidence."

Donald G. Anderson, chairman of the CRR, said yesterday that the hearings on the disruption will probably begin in early May.

Both Anderson and Cox said they did not know if any of the students charged by the Administration were among the group of 16 Harvard students charged by the SJP with disrupting the Counter Teach-In. The SJP charges were filed with the CRR last week.

Cox added that University officials had not consulted with SJP members in trying to identify disrupters. Arthur N. Waldron '71, co-chairman of SJP, backed Cox's statement, saying that the two sets of charges were pressed independently of each other.

While Administration officials presented the charges to the CRR, SDS made plans for a proposed Thursday afternoon confrontation with Dean Dunlop over the disruption issue.

Six SDS members have an appointment with Dunlop Thursday afternoon, and are urging supporters to rally outside Dunlop's office. SDS leaders hope Dunlop will leave his office to speak to the entire group. However, Dunlop has indicated he will meet only with the six representatives.