Netmen Take on Winless Cornell

With the Penn, Columbia and Princeton matches out of the way, the tennis team now faces the problem of maintaining its momentum for the last tough match of the season against Navy on May 5.

In a re-scheduled match played on Wednesday, the Crimson ran their regular season record to 5-1 by beating Brown, 8-0, at Providence. Harvard hosts a weak Cornell team today at 3 p.m. Army will play here on Saturday and the home stand finishes up against Amherst on Monday.

In the aftermath of last week's three big matches, junior Dave Fish has been sidelined indefinitely with tennis elbow. "This is a hard luck team." coach Jack Barnaby said, "but these guys are great fighters. We've had had breaks all season with illness and injury, but we beat Columbia and Penn, and still have a chance to tie for the title.

The team has been able to absorb the loss of Fish in singles without significantly weakening the line-up. Randy Barnett moves up to number three, Bill Brock to number four, and Tom Loring to number five. Peter Briggs will fill in at six.

But in doubles Fish's absence has forced coach Jack Barnaby to put together three new teams. Captain Bill Washauer now teams up with Joe Cavanagh at first doubles, and Loring moves up to second doubles with Barnett. Until Fish gets back. Briggs and Brock are the most likely third team.

"Maybe it was time to break up Cavanagh and Fish, anyway. Those first two teams looked really good against Brown." Barnaby said.

Washaner and Cavanagh defeated Don Smith and Steve Bickel at first doubles, 6-2, 6-4, Barnett and Loring downed Dick Lay and Dick Casher, 6-0, 6-2, and the third doubles match was rained out.

Washaner was back on his game as be beat Brown hockey star Mike Powers, 6-2, 6-3. Cavanagh rolled over Don Smith, 6-1, 6-0, and Barnett won in his first match at number three, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3. Brock, Loring and Briggs completed the sweep with straight set victories.

The Crimson should have little trouble with Cornell today. The Big Red are winless in five contests, losing to Navy, Penn and Dartmouth by 8-1 scores.

Durk Dugan, the captain, was the sole winner in all three matches, and is still undefeated this season at number one singles. In last year's 8-0 shut-out, Washaner defeated Dugan, 6-2, 11-9.