Crimson Split Dartmouth Set and Keep Lead

Behind the seven-hit pitching of Bill Kelly, the Harvard baseball team scuttled an amazing performance by Dartmouth right-hander Pete Broberg Saturday, 10.

Mike Thomas scored in the 10th inning on Kelly's wind-blown double to edge the Indians in the first game of a doubleheader.

The Indians parleyed the six-hit pitching of Oz Griebel and the timely bat of outfielder Wayne Young to beat the Crimson in the nightcap 5-0, ending Harvard's 12-game winning streak. The split left Harvard solely on top in the Eastern League as surprisingly Princeton and Navy obliged the Crimson, dropping twin sets to Yale and Army respectively.

The crowd of 1000 were treated with a classic pitcher's duel in the first game as Kelly and Broberg matched flawless hurling for nine innings. But in the 10th. Mike Thomas grabbed hold of a Broberg fastball and lifted a drive to left-center that carried for two bases. Two outs later, Kelly hit a fly to right which reserve outfielder Doug DeVries misjudged and let drop, scoring Thomas and giving Harvard a well-earned win.

Sinking Slider

Both Broberg and Kelly were exceptionally effective on the mound, each continually thwarting the opposition's scoring opportunities. The highly-touted Broberg was overpowering. Utilizing a blazing fastball and a sinking slider, the Dartmouth ace had a no-hitter going for seven innings and gave up only two hits overall. Kelly meanwhile scattered seven Indian hits and kept Dartmouth in check throughout the game.

Dartmouth mounted the only real threat in regulation innings when in the sixth. Broberg sent one out to center which carried over Dave Ignacio's head. Virtually assured of two bases. Broberg attempted to stretch the hit out to a triple. Ignacio's perfect throw to Mike Thomas cut down Broberg and Dartmouth's big chance went for naught.

The Big Green came out looking for blood in the second game and jumped all over Crimson starter Phil Collins for three runs in the first inning. After Collins walked two men. Young sent a line drive to left which baffled Art Serrano and Hal Smith and fell to score one. One batter later, Ken Hannighan hit a two-out triple to score two more.

Oz

Griebel, who calls himself "the Wizard of" to compliment his first name, stooped the Harvard bats cold. Allowing only six hits, the right-hander struck out three and walked only two.