Lacrosse Team Routs Princeton With Ten Goals in Second Half

By Bennett H. Beach

Princeton lacrosse teams just aren't what they used to be. Saturday afternoon in scenic Princeton, Harvard slaughtered the surprisingly inept Tigers, 16-6, to even its League record at 2-2.

The Crimson turned a 6-4 halftime lead into a 10-5 bulge in the next 15 minutes of play to end the Tigers' hopes of rallying for an upset. Five more goals in the final quarter caused Princeton further humiliation.

The top scorers for the Crimson were Phil Zuckerman and Steve Milliken, who had five points apiece. Harvard made 75 shots, 47 of which were on net. The Tigers took 25 shots.

The victory lifted Harvard into a third-place tie with Yale; which lost Saturday to powerful Cornell. In all likelihood, these two teams will still be tied for third when they face each other May 15 in Cambridge.

Out of-the Crease

Since the Tigers' Ray DuBois scored first Saturday at 0:34, the Crimson didn't go ahead to stay until midway through the quarter on a play that typified Princeton's efforts that afternoon. Harvard defenseman Chris Doyle threw a long clearing pass downfield, and Princeton goalie Alex Stuart, a converted midfielder, came out of the crease to try to intercept it. He ran right by Harvard's John Hagerty and then overran the pass, which Hagerty caught and put in the net.

The Tigers made up for it with their last goal, which came in the fourth quarter when Harvard goalie Joe Walker had moved up toward midfield to get a better look at the game. A loose ball rolled out of the Princeton zone, past Walker, and toward the net. Walker chased it, but the ball rolled into the cage before he could catch it.