Netmen Roll by Army, 8-1; Amherst Will Be Tougher

The tennis team rolled to its third straight lopsided victory on Saturday, defeating Army, 8-1, at the Soldiers' Field courts. Harvard is once again a solid favorite in today's match against Amherst at 3 p.m., but the Lord Jeffs are 6-1 for the season and potentially dangerous.

Saturday's manhandling of the Cadets avenged the Crimson's 5-4 loss at West Point last year. Playing without Dave Fish, Harvard still took five of the six singles.

Bill Washauer and Randy Bennett continued their strong play with straight set wins at first and third singles. The team's depth was once again evident as Tom Loring and Peter Briggs won 6-2, 6-3 and 6-2, 6-1 respectively, at five and six. Bill Brock won in three sets.

The most exciting contest of the match was at second singles where Ray Federici defeated Joe Cavanagh, 6-4, 6-4. Federici's only loss this season was to Harold Rabinovitz of Princeton, whom Cavanagh demolished last weekend, 4-6, 6-0, 6-0. While Cavanagh was a little off his game, the crucial factor was Federici's tough and machie-like style of play.

Darkness

Darkness curtailed the only close doubles match. After splitting the first two sets with Federici and Jack Stevenson. Washauer and Cavanagh won a nine-point match-breaker, 5-4.

Amherst's team returned intact this year. But that doesn't mean that today's match will be a duplicate of last year's 8-1 Crimson landslide.

Mike Pelletier beat Washauer at first singles last year, and Tom Shuer is strong at second singles. After that, however, the Lord Jeffs will have trouble cracking Harvard's depth.

Fish has been resting his tennis elbow for a week now, and may play at a lower singles slot today to prepare for Navy on Saturday.