Canonero II Slated to Be Triple Crown Winner

By Elsie Wilson

(Special to the CRIMSON)

BELMONT PARK, Elmont. N. Y.- Pedro Baptista and Canonero II, his Venezuelan wonder horse, double-handedly drew a crowd of well wishers. They have made the modest little stall 109B a red-hot tourist attraction for trippers from all over who dig the idea of a Triple Crown winner.

The A. G. Vanderbilts were here this morning and so were the Sonny Whitneys and the Ogden Phippses and they were all agog at the cute little brown horse done in saddle cloth colors of gold and turquoise with rose tassels in his mane. And speaking of eating out, everyone was doing just that under the early morning purple sky on the green grass as Harry M. Stevens caterers provided a spread of truffles and figs and express made on an open air wood fire.

Quite noticeable was Mrs. A. G., the former countess of Malfi, who was sensationally decked out in a long refugee coat by Mendes, tabbed and belted in webbing. It matched her bermudas matched to the cozy-collared, double-breasted battle jacket. On the lower level she was footed in Emm??? newly-designed shoes, like laced-up tennis sandals on thick crepe soles, in prairie green banded with jonquil yellow. She oohed and aahed the most when Canonero was brought out from his stall and admitted to being wild about all things Latin.

Also along was Julie Ege who was around promoting her latest effort for the video audiences- "Creatures From the Deep"- but she was so hyped at meeting the Venezuelan cannonball that she planted a kiss right on his smuzzeroo and forgot about talking about her picture for the momento. She was in her pink and purple passion hot pants and if her buss was anything as inspiring, the South American invader should show his colors to the rest of the equines by many lengths Julie, by the way, does not appear in the nude in her movieland debut. She promised her parents.

In other racetrack ramblings, Margo Argot was seen with Canonero's rider, sexy little Juan Avila, and the tete-a-tete got very close when she found that he was an Aries, just like herself. Some coincidence! Margo, a???ed in the fashion ??ge long pants in the Deanville style of the '30's, hails from the house country of Charlottesville and admits to being "just wild about horses." And their riders we might add.

Adores Horses

By the by, Diana Ipana, wife of the caviar importer, was there in her rose-tinted Ben Franklins flashing her sparkling white teeth and oh those stones on her fingers- "Isn't it lovely." she cooed, "how all of us here just adore horses."