Hynes Passes up Invitation To Play for Olympic Team

By Evan W. Thomas

Harvard hockey star Dave Hynes has passed up a chance to play for the U.S. National hockey team at the Winter Olympics in Tokyo. Although he would have missed only three Harvard games after intersession--Penn, Northeastern and Clarkson--Hynes refused an invitation to report to the National's Minnesota camp on January 20.

"I refused mainly because of my studies," Hynes said yesterday. The University offered to let Hynes make up his Fall semester examinations in April, but Hynes said, "There's no way I could make it up, I've let myself get too far behind."

Hynes, the fourth draft choice of the Boston Bruins last year and one of the best college hockey players in the country, would have been a valuable addition to the struggling National team, which has already lost most of its games in international competition.

Quick Shot

Well-known for his speed and quick shot. Hynes has been a prolific scorer throughout his career. As a senior at Brown and Nichols in 1969, Hynes scored 88 points in less than 20 games, and as a freshman in '70 he fell one point short of Bobby Cleary's freshman scoring record with 48 goals and 28 assists in 21 games. Last year, Hynes finished his sophomore season with 52 points (26 goals, 26 assists) in 27 games, earning MVP honors at the ECAC championships.

Hynes trails his center on the "Local Line," Bob McManama, in scoring this season, but he has played one less game than McManama. In 12 games, Hynes had 28 points on 13 goals, 15 assists, while McManama has 30 points.