Day Care Centers to Get Support From University

Schools Will Collaborate

Harvard day care centers will be given a boost in University support as the result of a statement issued by President Bok and Radcliffe President Matina Horner yesterday.

In the joint announcement the presidents stated that the expansion of day care functions will be examined for the purpose of "changing the quality and availability of day care not only at Harvard and Radcliffe but in the community at large."

The University will also make office space available for the use of the Child Care Council, a sanctioned group coordinating University day care functions.

The statement made it clear, however, that it could not "finance such elements of day care as personnel costs, tuition charges etc."

Walter Leonard special assistant to the President described the policy statement as a "grant step considering the fact that two years ago, there was nothing." President Horner cited it as a pretty good step.

Other day care policy points stated were.

* The continuing provision of free heat light and space for day care centers

* Designation of the University Development office to provide assistance in day care fund raising.

* Consideration of providing privileges for day care staff to use libraries and attend child-care related classes.

* Designation of the Office for Government and Community Affairs to review legislation with possible day care funds attached.

The statement also provided for the creation of a center to study day care needs at Harvard. The statement said that the center would be composed of members of the Radcliffe Institute. The Extension School, the Graduate School of Education and other schools.

Reterring to the policy, Leonard said he was unsure of its final objective. "The very fact that we'd study alternatives is evidence that we just don't know whether we should respond to day care or whether it is even in the jurisdiction of the University," he said.

"It is not within our mandate to provide resources," he said.

Leonard suggested that the Harvard-Radcliffe Child Care Council should go to private foundations for funding.