Freshmen Booters Defeat Babson Subs, 4-1

The freshman soccer team overwhelmed the Babson College varsity substitutes yesterday afternoon 4-1, as left inside Bobbie McGee scored a hat trick. The game, played at Harvard, was marred by steady rain and bad playing conditions.

McGee scored the Crimson's first goal about four minutes into the game on a mistrap by a Babson fullback. He tallied 15 minutes later on a penalty kick. The referee awarded the free shot after the Babson goalie, rising from a collision with McGee, kicked him in the chest. The first half ended with the score at 2-0.

McGee completed his hat trick five minutes into the second half by stealing a slow pass between two Babson fullbacks. Coach Dana Getchell sent in the second team after the third goal. Steve Hines scored the final Crimson point on a sustained offensive drive, five minutes later.

Babson's single goal came with two minutes remaining in the game as goalie Jay Skardon was pulled out of the nets attempting a save--giving a Babson forward the open net.

The Babson team was left with only one substitute early in the first half after two players were injured in a massive collision. One player opened a large cut in his cheek which required five or six stitches. A second Babson player re-injured a bruised thigh and was carried off the field.

The win was the freshman team's first of the season. The Yardlings were defeated by Exeter, 2-1, on October 4.

Goalie Jim McKenna said that the team was "elated" over its first victory.

McKenna said that the team had changed from the overload 5-3-2 setup used against Exeter to a 4-3-3 formation. In addition, "People know each other now," he added.