Volunteers Get Out McGovern Voters

Getting out the McGovern vote in Cambridge and in voting precincts throughout New England will be the major effort of volunteer workers during the final week before the November 7 election, local McGovern campaign coordinators said yesterday.

Fred Geldon, co-chairman of the McGovern-Shriver campaign in Cambridge, and Jim Dumont '75, coordinator of Harvard-Radcliffe Students for McGovern, each stated that they will urge volunteers who are not needed locally to work in other New England communities in the last four days of the campaign.

"We know that the vote here is for McGovern," Geldon said. He added that information from workers' canvassing indicates that McGovern has as much support now among non-student Cambridge residents as Kennedy had when he ran for president.

Dumonnt said state campaign organizers are expecting at least 300 student volunteers from this area and added that he hopes to recruit some of that number at a free concert Thursday in Sanders Theatre featuring folksinger Phil Ochs.