Local Physicians Oppose New Health Care Option

The Cambridge Community Physicians yesterday issued a statement opposing Harvard's new health care option which they said would "deny the Harvard Community a basic right of choice."

The statement was published yesterday in the Cambridge Chronicle and said that Harvard University is sponsoring a new Blue Cross-Blue Shield health care option which would not permit a patient to choose his own physician, surgeon, obstetrician, or hospital.

Present health coverage is extended only to students, faculty and employees of the University. The existing plan has a $50 deductible provision per month for medical bills.

The new option would extend medical coverage to the dependents and spouses of those presently covered, and would eliminate the $50 deductible clause.

Those opting for the new plan would have a choice of physicians from the University Health Services medical staff. All surgery and hospitalization would be performed at the Cambridge Hospital.

Dr. S.N. Mangano, secretary of the physicians's organization, said yesterday that Harvard has proposed this new health care option so as to "control the practice of medicine in Cambridge."

Dr. Elenor Shore, assistant physician to UHS, said yesterday that the new Blue Cross-Blue Shield health option is merely an extension of existing services offered by UHS.

"The Harvard Community would have a choice between the existing and the new health care plans for the same monthly fee," Shore said.

"There is room in Cambridge for both kinds of plans. The new option will appeal to families new in the Cambridge area who don't as yet have a family physician," Shore added.