Poll Asks Students For Course Ideas

Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE) polls will be distributed throughout the Houses today and next week soliciting student suggestions for General Education courses.

Robert J. Kiely, associate dean for Undergraduate Education and chairman of the CUE, said yesterday that he sent letters to House Masters yesterday asking them to distribute the questionnaires.

The questionnaire asks students to name a course they would like to see taught, a professor who might be asked to teach the course, and the suggested enrollment for the course.

It also asks for a suggestion of a Faculty member from the student's department of concentration who "might be persuaded to reach a wider undergraduate audience by offering" a General Education course.

Kiely said the more feasible and more detailed course suggestions would be channelled to the Committe on General Education or to the House educational committees to be acted upon.

He said he hoped the questionnaires would facilitate student initiations of courses. At any rate, he said, the questionnaires should provide "a lest of this as a procedure and a test of student interest in initiating courses."

"A lot of preliminary work and thinking goes into devising a course," Kiely said. "I hope that one of the things this questionnaire does is demonstrate that fact to students."