J.V. Cagers Top Johnson and Wales; Coach Hart Triumphs in Debut, 98-91

Harvard's all-sophomore J.V. basketball team opened its season last night with a tight 98-91 win over Johnson and Wales in the IAB. Crimson guard Arnie Needleham led all scorers with 32 points in a game resolved in the final minute of play.

Johnson and Wales, which was four and five going into the game, capitalized on poor defense and jumped to an early four-point lead. Crimson coach Bob Hart quickly switched from a some to man-to-man defense and Harvard gained a lead midway through the first half which they never relinquished.

Brilliant ball handling and passing by guard Bill Griffin sparked the Crimson to a nine point margin at the half. Forward Lenny Adams Joined Griffin and Needleman in an explosive running game which plagued the Johnson and Wales defense.

The J.V.s fielded only seven players for the game and found themselves out-benched and in foul trouble by half-time. Center Jeff Wheat fouled out after 19 points with eight minutes to go and only Adams inspired play staved off a loss.

Johnson and Wales narrowed the Crimson lead to two points late in the game. The tying basket was nullified by a hotly contested call of traveling against Johnson and Wales with 1:04 remaining. During the next minute. Harvard did not get rattled in the face of a full-court press. Needleman hit in a one and one situation to ice the game, giving Harvard a four point lead with 40 seconds to play.

The J.V. cagers have five outstanding ball players and superior coaching. They have the added advantage of having played together on last year's freshman team. There are some defense and ball control problems which Hart should be able to work out. Harvard's lack of bench strength will hurt them this season. If Johnson and Wales had run the Crimson harder and played tougher defense they could have made good their coaches' pre-game prediction to Hart that Harvard was in for a "long night."

The J.V.'s record is 1.0 and Hart is optimistic. "We beat a team with nine games under its belt. I have to be happy about that. After all, that's a tremendous edge and we overcame it," he said afterwards. Hart, a defensive wizard, was hired by varsity coach Bob Harrison to work with the sophmores this season.

The J.V. will play its next game December 18 in the IAB when it faces Chamberlyne Junior College. The squad does not practice as a man rather at works each day with Harrison's varsity unit.