Zumwalt Calls for Redefinition Of International Nautical Law

A new definition of international law of the sea is needed if the U.S. is to avoid major crises and protect its essential nautical interests, Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, Chief of Naval Operations, said last night.

Speaking at the Law School Forum at Austin Hall, Zumwalt said that the Navy must have the capability of being a strategic deterrent, of projecting forces overseas, of maintaining our overseas presence and of keeping the sea lanes clear for commercial vessels.

Because many nations now have modern warships, "gunboat diplomacy is, and must be, a thing of the past," he said. He added that the definition of nautical law, a project never seriously undertaken, is necessary for any future peace on the high seas.

Zumwalt stressed the United State's technological dependence upon the sea, noting that 69 of the 72 commodities enumerated by the Department of the Interior as essential to the economy are imported by ship.

Zumwalt said that the Navy's role as a nuclear deterrent needs constant maintenance and new systems so that they continue to be "survivable." He added that "there must be absolute control by civilian authority in a world as dangerous as ours."

Zumwalt pointed out that the need of more equitable representation of minorities in the Navy has been one of his primary concerns. He said that although there is racial tension in the Navy, this in no way reflects a lack of success in his policies.

"Z-Grams"

In the question and answer period Zumwalt strongly supported his innovations in the Navy structure. In a poll given to 11,500 Navy men, the 5000 replies showed an 86 per cent positive response to Zumwalt's "Z-gram" directives.

Nonetheless he admitted that the Navy is still nowhere near what he would like it to be. "It will be many years before the Navy has true equality of opportunity," he said.