Bradley May Run In Missouri Race

By E. J. Dionne

Given the way politics works in America, it's not unnatural for a Princeton graduate and Rhodes Scholar to run for public office.

The matter takes on new dimensions, however, when the person in question is Bill Bradley. All American basketball player and star for the New York Knicks.

According to a story in yesterday's New York Post. Bradley may run for the Democratic nomination for state treasurer in Missouri. This disturbs a lot of people--including assorted Knicks fans, the six candidates already running for the state post, and Knicks coach Red Holzman.

"I know nothing about it." Holzman told the Post Monday night. "I'd very much like like for him to play next year," he added, realizing that a Bradley win would be a Knicks loss.

Bradley has still not decided what he will do, but he must make up his mind by the April 25th deadline.

"At the moment I'm assessing what the situation is in Missouri and in the state treasurer's race." Bradley said.

'Dollar Bill'

As part of that assessment, 28-year old "Dollar Bill" has spent time in St. Louis talking with friends about a possible candidacy and reportedly has engaged a research firm to evaluate las chances for nomination.

If he goes into the race. Bradley will be facing six other Democrats, including incumbent William E. Robinson. Paul M. Berra, chairman of the St. Louis Democratic Central Committee, noted that "it's rather late in the game" for Bradley to think about making the race.

In the meantime, 6'5" Number 24 continues to play the game he already knows well. He spent yesterday in the whirlpool at Madison Square Garden nursing an injured right call muscle which has kept him out of two games. One way or the other, he'll play out this season--which will give him a late start for the August primary.

"I spoke to him about it, and he said he hasn't made any decision as yet." Frank Blauschild. Holzman's right-hand man, said. "The only thing that concerns us right now is that if he runs for office in Missouri, his opponents don't ask us for equal playing."