Jesus Movement Brings Christ to Harvard

"There is a potential end of the world which is predicted by the ecologists, and the population experts," Myron S. Augsberger said yesterday in the third of a series of "Jesus Movement" lectures sponsored by the H-R Christian Fellowship.

Augsberger, President of Eastern Mennonite College, Harrisonburg, Va., said the Bible predicted an increased religious fervor among the young before the end of the world.

James H. Shaw, professor of Nutrition at the School of Dentistry, and advisor to the Fellowship said yesterday that the Fellowship is larger and more active now than at any time in the last 25 years. "We aren't specifically part of the Jesus Movement, but our activities parallel it," he said. Membership has increased from 25 students to over 120.

Despair

Shaw, who has been the group's advisor since World War II, sees the revival of interest in religion on campus as the result of despair with as increasingly materialistic way of life.

The activities sponsored by the Fellowship include lectures by Augsberger, as well as Clinton White, publisher of the Evangelical newspaper, Catacomb Press, and Dr. Paul Krishna, author of "Journey to the East."

The meetings with speakers are being held in various lecture halls and house dining rooms throughout the University this week. The first three lectures have each drawn approximately 175 listeners of which an estimated one-third are Harvard and Radcliffe students.

Free Handouts

In addition to the speakers, the week's activities include extensive free handouts of newspapers and Bible literature. The speakers and handouts were financed through the H-R Fellowship and paid for almost totally by contributions of H-R Christian Alumni, Betsy D. Inskeep 75, treasurer of the Fellowship, said.