Racquetmen Lose to Southern Teams But Harvard's Prospects Are Bright

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's varsity tennis team won only two of six matches on its Southern tour last week, but coach Jack Barnaby returned to Cambridge confident that his squad has the potential to go undefeated in the Eastern League this spring.

The Crimson, playing without co-captain Dave Fish and Ken Lindner, second singles, fell victim to Clemson, Georgia, and North Carolina. Harvard registered strong 9-0 triumphs over the Country Club of Virginia and the Athens Club in Georgia.

Lots of Spirit

"Against the Southern schools we were playing outdoors on clay for the first time while they were playing their 12th or 13th match." Barnaby said. "I was impressed by the decisive way we beat every team we knew we could beat. This squad is a spirited team with a bunch of winners."

Harvard's second team also had mixed success, defeating Purdue and Davidson but losing to South Carolina and Furman.

The Crimson needed a strong showing in the South to build momentum for the toughest matches of the season this weekend at Columbia ranks as the best team until they are beaten. But we have a solid squad that will be in contention for every point in every match." Barnaby said.

The Crimson's line-up is firmly established for this weekend. In singles, the squad is led by sophomores Harris Masterson, Lindner, and freshman John Ingard. The second trio consists of Tom Loring, Randy Barnett, and co-captain Chris Nielson. Bill Babcock filled in well at number six during Lindner's absence from some of the Southern matches.

No Doubles Trouble

Harvard's doubles teams should be stronger than they have been in years. Masterson and Lindner team at number one, followed by Ingard-Nielson and Barnett-Loring.

Playing indoors during March, the biggest challenge facing the tennis squad may be the change to an outdoor clay surface. Barnaby hopes that the weather will permit a full week of outdoor practice in preparation for the trip to Columbia and Princeton.