Male Proctors to be Harvard Grads

Co-Residential Yard Causes Change

The advent of a co-educational Yard has caused a change in the selection process of next year's proctors. All of the new male proctors for next year will be Harvard graduates.

Dwight D. Miller, senior adviser to freshmen, said yesterday that women proctors will replace most of the graduating proctors and that only four or five new male proctors will be chosen.

"We have 170 people applying for only four or five places and we have decided to consider only Harvard graduates. From experience we know that recent Harvard graduates are excellent advisers, especially on academic matters," Miller said.

Burriss Young, assistant dean of freshmen, said yesterday that there are other considerations that caused the decision to have only Harvard graduates as proctors.

Freshman Complaints

"We wanted to up the quotient of Harvard alumni as proctors," Young said. "Also, some freshmen complain because their proctor or adviser did not go to Harvard."

Miller said that the women proctors will not necessarily all be Harvard graduates.

"We are interviewing everyone who applied," Miller said. "The preference will go to Radcliffe graduates, but graduates from other colleges will not automatically be eliminated from consideration."

Miller said that the upperclassmen who live in the Yard next year will serve as "unofficial, informal proctors."

Helpful Advice

"They will supplement the proctors and help advise students," Miller said. "They will be especially helpful in places such as Wigglesworth where there is not a proctor in every entry."

Young made it clear that the upperclassmen will not take on any of the officia, duties of a proctor, such as signing study cards.