Stickmen Overhaul MIT, Clinch City Championship

Harvard's lacrosse team took its 13th consecutive Cambridge City Championship title yesterday when it downed MIT, 18-10.

A strong first-half performance gave the Crimson the victory. Co-captain Bob Green started the scoring in the opening minutes of play, and by the end of the first quarter, Harvard held a 6-0 lead.

MIT collected two goals in the second period, and the Crimson put in four to make the halftime score 10-2. In the last two quarters the Engineers held Harvard to an even match, as both teams tallied eight times.

Attackman John Hagerty starred for the Crimson, collecting eight goals and three assists to up his team-leading point total to 40. Steve Milliken, another attackman, scored the hat trick and had three assists.

Little All-American Scores

Co-captain Steve Cochi and Wayne Flaggs led MIT's offense, putting in four goals each. Cochi, a Little All-American last year, now has an impressive career total of 101 goals and 71 assists.

All three goalies played for Harvard. Joe Walker allowed two scores and made six saves in the first half, Rob Abbot gave up five goals and had three stops in the third period, and Bob Coplan allowed three goals and made an equal number of saves in the final quarter.

The MIT goalie, who switched to offense on man-up situations, had five stops. Gary Braun, a former attackman, played in the nets as a replacement for the Engineers' regular starter, who is out of action with a torn knee ligament. Saturday Harvard hopes to take its first Ivy League victory by defeating Dartmouth.

"We didn't play as well yesterday as I had hoped we would," Crimson coach Bruce Munro said. "MIT was a better test than Rhode Island, but Dartmouth is going to be tougher."

Cornell currently holds a 5-7 record, while the Crimson has won two regular season matches and lost seven.