On Football and Other Combat at Harvard

Every man at Harvard who takes any interest in athletics realizes that the football team, in order to be successful, has a peculiarly hard task before it. The lack of heavy men is now even more pronounced than last year; there are indeed scarcely enough now playing to form one team of only average weight and ability. It is certain that many men are in the University who are of sufficient weight to make it an obligation to their fellows to answer the appeal of Captain Marshall and Coach Cranston. Lack of experience is no excuse for not coming out, and every addition to the squad means improved possibilities for the development of an improved eleven. Tuesday, October 6, 1903

For the first time during the football season the organized cheering will begin at the game today. Amherst has a strong team--a sample of what our 11 has to meet in all the games to come--and it is time for us to show some indication of that feeling which is so strong before the Yale game. If the student body desires its representatives on the football team to go into the game with the necessary fighting spirit that brings success, it will greatly facilitate that result by showing its support of the players. From today on, nobody will be given a chance to complain of lack of cheering, and this cheering we hope, will grow more hearty and determined until it brings success in the end.   Saturday, October 10, 1903

While it may be long before Harvard men forget the game last Saturday, it will be better if we face only the future and seek only to master the lessons taught us by that game. Above all else we must not give up hope, we must realize that the development of a strong team, of a victorious team, is a necessity, and that the only way to do this is for the whole undergraduate body, yes, and for all the graduates too, to show with all their strength that they are to a man behind our 11.

Even though there were unfortunate circumstances in the Amherst game, we do not try to apologize for defeat. But worse even than the playing was the lack of support from the rest of the University. We agree heartily with the writer of the communication that it is time for the reorganization of the University band and for starting the practice of songs. Still more important is the cheering. Not only was the leading, but also the response, poor on Saturday. Let us have one competent leader with a few good assistants; then let the cheering be a spontaneous outburst to show the team our determination to succeed.

(The 'communication' referred to is a letter from a senior which says, in part,"...the University Band should be immediately reorganized; the mass-meetings in the Union should begin now; there ought to be frequent processions of the College to the practice; and there should be cheering and singing of the right sort at practice and at every game. The cheering Saturday was well-nigh worthless.... "--Ed.)   Monday, October 12, 1903