Sailors Win First, Garner 3 Seconds In Weekend Races

By William E. Stedman

To paraphrase an old sports cliche, "finishing second in a sailing meet is like kissing your sister." The strong Crimson sailing team managed to collect three seconds and only one first place finish in last weekend's major events.

In the Danmark Trophy, sailed at Coast Guard Saturday and Sunday, it was the home team that overtook Harvard in the second day of events to win the event. Terry Neff, who was the low-point skipper in A Division, and Chris Middendorf, collected an eight-point lead after Saturday's six races, only to see it vanish in light airs on Sunday. Coast Guard won by the same margin.

On Lake Quinsigamond on Sunday, skippers Clem Wood and Tim Black faltered in the final races allowing Brown to gain a surprise victory in the four races in fluky winds.

In Monday's Greater Boston championship, in which Harvard was the favorite, Neff, Wood and Middendorf had mediocre days and again could only gain a second place finish behind Tufts. All three committed numerous mental errors that cost the Crimson's victory.