'Cliffe Hockey Squad Swamps Wheaton

The Radcliffe field hockey team defeated Wheaton, 2-0, yesterday in a game that started late, ended early, and was contested under almost unplayable conditions.

The Wheaton squad arrived piecemeal between 4:00 to 4:30 p.m., and the game started 45 minutes after the scheduled 3:45 face-off.

Later, soon after the second half began, an occasional drizzle turned into a steady pour, and the game was called, after two early Radcliffe goals provided the margin of victory.

The 'Cliffe offense dominated the first half for several reasons, primarily the Wheaton players' late arrival-which allowed Radcliffe's first team to practice for almost an hour.

Several key members of Wheaton's offense showed up after the game had started, but Radcliffe had already opened the scoring with center forward Cha-Nan Tang's goal.

Despite the appearance of Wheaton's stars, Radcliffe kept the play near Wheaton's goal for the remainder of the half. Ann Ballen's knock-in goal was the only other Radcliffe tally.

Soon after the second half began, Radcliffe coach Pippi O'Conner and her Wheaton opposite agreed to call the game as the heavier downpour had made playing conditions unbearable.

Although expressing displeasure with the shortening of the game, several Radcliffe players were encouraged by the team's performance in spite of the muddy field. Left wing Kathy Agoos said that the offense played its best game of the season. The front line displayed some good passing in contrast to Tuesday's performance, she said.

"The practice before the game helped us a lot. We did not practice yesterday and we were able to gain some team coordination from the pre-game drills," Agoos said.

O'Conner got an especially good view of the game as the early departure of an impatient umpire forced her to serve as a referee.

Looking ahead to next Wednesday's game at Brown, O'Conner said that the team might be ready to put a good sixty minutes of play together.

"Under the conditions they played well. With some more practice and the recovery of some of our girls from injuries, we could play even better," said O'Conner.

Asked what her feelings were after the game wet halfback Diana Finch could only say "confusion."