Upsets Scramble League Title Picture

Penn-Harvard Game Seen Crucial

By Kim G. Davis

If you are going to bet on the football card this weekend, or any weekend for that matter, do not bet on the Ivy League. There is no such thing as a sure bet in the Ivies. Just ask Cornell's coach Jack Musick or Crimson head coach Joe Restic.

Last Saturday Harvard was humiliated by Dartmouth, 24-18, while lowly Yale upended Cornell, 19-3. Prior to the kickoffs Cornell and Harvard were favorites, with the Crimson picked to win by 13, a large margin by betting standards. Other team across the nation often defy the point spreads, but it seems that no teams do it with the alarming regularity that Ivy teams do.

At the beginning of the football season most polls tabbed Cornell as the team to beat in the Ivies. Likewise, Harvard was picked as the team to be kicked around in the league. Yet after three weeks of league play Penn sits atop the standings with a 3-0 record while Cornell is 1-2. Harvard is tied for second with Dartmouth and Yale.

Harvard's loss to Dartmouth may loom larger and larger as the season progresses. However, next week's game against Penn will probably reveal a lot more than Saturday's loss to the Big Green. The Crimson can set its season straight with a victory over the Quakers--a loss could all but end any hopes for a Harvard title this season.

Harvard looked particularly unimpressive against Dartmouth. The score was a lot closer than the game. Even though the Crimson had more total yards than the Big Green Harvard lacked the ability to gain the yards that counted.

Neal Miller carried the team down the field time and time again, yet the Crimson wouldn't give him the ball inside the five. Near the Dartmouth goal line the Crimson ran laterally instead of straight ahead. Questionable play-calling in goal-line situations probably contributed more to Harvard's defeat than any other single element.

Head coach Joe Restic has one week to rectify the breakdowns that occured against Dartmouth. If the team does not go out against Penn with a desire to win, along with the needed football sense to do it, next Saturday may be a disaster.