Radcliffe Swimmers to Get New Coach

By A. DE Hayden neal

A three-member screening committee is currently seeking a new Radcliffe swim coach, Mary G. Paget, assistant to the director of Athletics, disclosed yesterday. The new coach will succeed Alice G. McCabe, who was recently named director of Intercollegiate Athletics for Radcliffe.

The screening committee, composed of Paget, McCabe and Harvard swim coach Ted Essick, hopes to reach a decision by Tuesday. Final approval of the appointment must come from Athletic Director Robert B. Watson.

Olympians Considered

Among the names under consideration for the position are Leslie Rudolph, a '73 Oberlin College graduate and '68 Olympic trials qualifier, and Tammy Hazelton Murphy, a member of the '68 U.S. Olympic team.

Essick said that he planned to contact several other prospective candidates, one of them male, but he would not disclose their names.

All the candidates have had previous coaching experience, Essick said.

The committee has yet to formulate a job description for the position. Problems caused by the Harvard-Radcliffe athletics merger are creating the largest hitch in the resolution of the new coach's responsibilities.

Two alternatives have been suggested for the position. The new coach may be affiliated with Radcliffe athletics or he or she may serve as assistant under Harvard swim coach Essick.

"We hope that the new coach will serve under Mrs. McCabe in the Radcliffe athletics department," senior RoAnn Costin, Radcliffe swim teach captain, said yesterday.

Status Suggestions

Radcliffe swim team members have not been consulted in the appointment of the successor, but have made suggestions as to the coach's new status in Harvard-Radcliffe athletics, Costin said.

The addition of an extra official in the Radcliffe Athletics office is the result of the athletics merger announced in September. McCabe is the first person to serve in the position of intercollegiate athletic director.

"I will still be very closely associated with the entire swimming program," McCabe said yesterday. "My duties will be to oversee small problems caused by Radcliffe sports merging with Harvard.

"There are a lot more responsibilities for the swim team coach this year because of our additional practice hours at the IAB and the greater availability of the IAB pool," she explained. "That's why we need a new coach."