Undefeated 'Cliffe Swimmers Hope to Extend Streak at Radcliffe Invitational This Weekend

By Sydney P. Freedberg

The Radcliffe swim team, undefeated in its two meets this season, will take on two strong aquatic squads from Mt. Holyoke and Wellesley at the 11th Radcliffe Invitational Swim Tournament on Saturday.

Although the Radcliffe swimmers looked awesome in their decisive victory over the University of New Hampshire swim team in November, they barely squeaked out with a win in the Wellesley Relays last week, defeating a well-conditioned Mt. Holyoke team.

Radcliffe coach Alice McCabe predicted yesterday that the rematch between the two teams will be just as close. "This will be Mt. Holyoke's final meet of the season--they will be up and gunning for it," she said.

Mt. Holyoke began its swimming season in September, but Radcliffe's season has just gotten underway. McCabe sees this as an advantage for Mt. Holyoke. "The Mt. Holyoke swimmers have peaked," she said. "Our girls will be in much better shape later in the season."

This season Radcliffe swimmers have edged Mt. Holyoke and Wellesley in all individual events except the 100-meter backstroke, McCabe said.

Uncertainty

She predicts Radcliffe will win the 200-yard free-style relay but is uncertain about the outcome of the 200-yard medley. Mt. Holyoke and Radcliffe have been clocked equally in this event.

Butterfly stroker Connie Cervilla said yesterday the outcome of the meet depends primarily on the relay and diving contests.

Nancy Sato will once again shoulder the diving responsibilities for Radcliffe. McCabe said Sato's outstanding diving this fall may earn her a right to go to Nationals at Penn State later this season.

McCabe expects the freestylers to put in good performances against Wellesley and Mt. Holyoke. Captain RoAnn Costin, who has not lost a race all season, will probably swim the 100- and 200-meter free-style events at the Invitational.