Good News: Long Vacation Bad News: No Intersession

THE CALENDAR:

By H. JEFFREY Leonard

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences this week did its bit to ensure a cutback in its January fuel consumption by extending the Christmas vacation until January 14.

But the schedule shuffling necessary to accommodate the week extension may have large numbers of exam-shocked students climbing the walls by February. The regular five-day intersession was canceled to allow second semester to begin the first week of the month, as usual.

The Kennedy School of Government and the Business School said this week they would follow the same revised schedule as the Faculty.

Dean Rosovsky also said the Faculty was scrapping a plan to move students who remain in Cambridge for the Christmas holidays into one dorm. Instead, the temperatures in the dorms will be lowered to 60 or 65 degrees. Dean Whitlock said he expects some cutbacks in library hours and the closing of many of the other buildings during the three-week vacation.

Rosovsky was reluctant to say what will happen after February 6 or to discuss the reasoning behind the plan--except to say the Faculty was trying to behave "prudently and intelligently."

In fact, when Stephen S. J. Hall, vice president for administration, began to explain more of the truth about the Harvard heating manifesto than Rosovsky cared to bare at Wednesday's press conference, he cut Hall off: "Now Steve, let's not air our dirty laundry in public."

But Hall later provided the simple answer--and probably the reason for Rosovsky's hesitancy to air it as well: Harvard has been wasting its fuel resources by inefficient allocation and the use of antiquated equipment for so long, that a 30-per-cent reduction can be absorbed mostly through physical improvements in the heating facilities. The Faculty's New Calendar SUNDAY  MONDAY  TUESDAY  WEDNESDAY  THURSDAY  FRIDAY  SATURDAY The Faculty's New Calendar        Dec.21  22 CHRISTMAS VACATION BEGINS 23  24  25  26  27  28  29 30  31  Jan. 1  2  3  4  5 6  7  8  9  10  11  12 13 CHRISTMAS VACATION ENDS  14 READING PERIOD BEGINS  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23 READING PERIOD ENDS  24 EXAM PERIOD BEGINS  25  26 27  28  29  30  31  Feb. 1  2 3  4  5 EXAM PERIOD ENDS  6 SECOND SEMESTER BEGINS  Ahead: two-day-shorter spring reading period