Swimmers Dominate Larries, 79-34; Essick Experiments With Team Lineup

By Dennis P. Corbett

The Harvard swimming team, in an impressive display of depth and versatility, cruised past small-college swim power Johns Hopkins, 79-34, yesterday in Baltimore.

Crimson coach Ray Essick juggled his lineup throughout the meet in an effort to evaluate his team's overall strength. Many of his top performers found themselves placed in unfamiliar events.

Johns Hopkins was able to take advantage of Essick's experimentation early in the meet and trailed by only 24-19 after five events. But the Crimson's depth proved too much for the Blue Jays, as Harvard swept first place in seven of the remaining eight events.

Yntema Spearhead

Hess Yntema spearheaded the Crimson's effort with three first place finishes, including a convincing two-second victory over small-college division champion Bill Milne in the 200-yd. butterfly. He also won the 1000-yd. freestyle, and participated in the winning 400-yd. freestyle relay.

Freshman long-distance freestyle ace Peter Tetlow, who did not swim in the 1000-yd. free, set a new pool record of 4:43.6 in the 500-yd. free. His time is less than two seconds away from the Harvard record held by Fred Mitchell. Tetlow also placed a surprising second to Mitchell in the 200-yd. free.

Keim Shines in Sprints

Crimson freshman George Keim continued to shine in the freestyle sprints. He touch out fellow high school All-American John Patzschke of Johns Hopkins for a victory in the 50-yd. free, and was a member of the winning freestyle relay team.

The presence of junior Dave Brumwell, who placed second in the 100-yd. freestyle, was not missed in the 200-yd. breaststroke, his specialty. Ted Fullerton captured that event for the Crimson, and co-captain Phil Jonckheer took third. Sophomore Tom Wolf easily won the 200-yd. backstroke.

In diving, Crimson freshman Roger Johannigam swept both the one-meter and three-meter competitions. Sophomore Dave English placed second in the one-meter, and senior John Zakotnik copped second in the three-meter.

The Crimson will complete its weekend road trip this afternoon at Navy. The ranks of last year's strong Midshipmen squad have been decimated by graduation, and Crimson fans can expect to see an even more varied Harvard lineup in today's meet.