Deans Announce Tuition Rise For Med and Dental Schools

By H. JEFFREY Leonard

The deans of the Medical School and the School of Dental Medicine said last week that both of the schools will increase tuition and room and board rates for 1973-74.

Robert H. Ebert, dean of the Medical School, and Paul Goldhaber, dean of the School of Dental Medicine, announced on Friday that the tuition will rise from $2750 to $3000 on July 1, 1973. They said than an additional increase of $250 will be necessary for the 1974-75 academic year.

Board rates Its students of both schools next year will rise by about $40, an increase of approximately five per cent over current rates. The room rates for residents at the student dormitory, Vanderbilt Hall, will go up by betwenn $25 and $40, depending upon the type of accommodation.

Ebert said that the cost increases are necessary because of the steadily rising costs of education which the schools have had to face. Both Ebert and Goldhaber said Friday that they regretted that the increases were necessary because over two thirds of the schools' students are unable to meet present costs.

However, Ebert added that the Medical School has experienced "substantial operational deficits" during the past two academic years.

Rich J. Olendzki, associate dean for Financial Affairs in the Faculty of Medicine, said Friday that adequate funds, mostly in the form of loans, will be available to help students absorb the additional costs.