Crimson Icemen Destroy Tigers, 13-2

Nine Players Score

By William E. Stedman jr.

The Crimson hockey team, frustrated in its last two games with Dartmouth and Cornell, took out its hostilities last night against a weak Tiger six, 13-2, at Princeton.

Sophomore left winger Dave Gauthier was the high scorer in the game with two goals and two assists, as the point producing was spread pretty evenly. Nine players chipped in goals in the rout, with Bob McManama and Bill Corkery also bagging two apiece.

The Crimson jumped out to a quick and convincing 6-1 lead in the first period. Bob Muse scored his second goal of the season at 1:15 unassisted. Thirty-five seconds later, Princeton tied it up on a freak goal poked in the net by Doug Elliott who was trying to clear the puck following a great save by Joe Bertagna. The score was given to Walt Snickenberger.

That was the only threat the Bengals had as Harvard poured in five more goals before the period ended. McManama bulged the cords at 2:03, Corkery tallied at 8:36, Jim Thomas came through at 12:37, Kevin Hampe notched his third of the season ten seconds after that, and McManama finished it off at 16:21.

The Crimson didn't beat Tiger goalie Doug Swift until 6:46 of the second stanza, when Gauthier tickled the twines assisted by Muse and McManama. Dave tallied his second of the evening just twenty seconds later and Jay Riley scored at 7:26 to give Harvard a comfortable, to say the least, 9-1 lead after two.

Practice Shots

Wayne Bezan got Princeton's final goal at 5:29 of the third, and again it was all Crimson. Harry Reynolds, Ted Thorndike, Corkery and McManama all practiced up on their shooting on Swift, bringing Harvard's final total to 13.

Coach Bill Cleary changed the power play for last night's game, putting McManama on the left point and moving Thomas up to his spot on the line. They converted on two opportunities.

The third line of Thorndike, McMahon and Gauthier starred in the contest, racking up 19 points for their efforts. On the other side, Tiger goalie Swift had a rough night, although he managed to made 36 saves.

In the Harvard nets Joe Bertagna played a period and a half of solid hockey, stopping 12 shots and only allowing one goal scored directly off a Tiger stick. Steve Perry, getting some ice time in the second half of the game, thwarted all 14 of Princeton's shots.