Crimson Nine to Open Tour

Faces 12-Game Florida Schedule

Anxious to leave winter behind, the Crimson baseball team leaves today for a spring tour through warm, sunny Florida.

The heavy schedule of 12 games in eight days will give the batmen their first real opportunity for some outdoor baseball as cold weather has prevented out-of-doors workouts in Cambridge this Spring.

The trip will also give coach Loyal Park his first look at the players in game situations. "So far, all we've done are indoor drills. This trip will let us look at the players and get our team ready for the league schedule," Park said Wednesday.

Park also named the starting lineup for tomorrow's game against Embry Riddle Institute. Joe Mackey will get the nod at first base and Jim Stoeckel, last year's shortstop, will be moving over to second. Ed Durso holds the shortstop position and Larry Barbiaux will be at the corner spot.

Outfield Spots

The outfield will post Kevin Hampe in left, Joe Sciola in center, and Hal Smith in right field. The battery will pair catcher Rich Bridich with last year's pitching ace, Roz Brayton.

The remainder of the pitching rotation will put Sandy Weissant and Mike O'Malley on the mound for a doubleheader on April 1 against Embry Riddle. Don Driscoll and Milt Holt will work the doubleheader against Bethune Cookman College on April 2. Barry Malinowski is scheduled to pitch in the game against Florida Tech the following day.

Most of the teams the Crimson face are at least half-way through their schedules. Eckerd College, the April 4 opponent, is perennially a strong team. It is nearly as touch as last year when it posted a record of 23-8, including a victory over Florida Southern, which won the NCAA college division baseball title.

"The whole purpose of the trip is to give everyone a chance to play and get adjusted to things," Park said. "There's no real pressure, so we want the guys to enjoy themselves."

"But I expect we'll win," he added. "We're loose as a goose and raring to go."