Rosovsky, Lindzey In Front

DEANS:

By Daniel Swanson

Two relative dark horses have emerged as the leading candidates for the next permanent dean of the Faculty.

Henry Rosovsky, professor of Economics, and Gardner E. Lindzey, professor of Psychology, are presently at the top of President Bok's informal list, several authoritative sources disclosed last week.

The two have surged past early favorites like James Q. Wilson, professor of Government, and Alan E. Heimert '49, Cabot Professor of American Literature, the sources explained.

Bok last week declined comment on the widespread speculation about the two men, although he ruled out neither individual. He said he hopes to have a final selection sometime within the next two weeks.

Although neither Rosovsky nor Lindzey are unknowns, they have not achieved the same degree of prominence in Faculty politics as some of their more vocal counterparts.

The greatest assets possessed by the two men are their extensive administrative experience and their evident acceptability to both wings of Faculty opinion, the sources explained.

Rosovsky has served as chairman of the Economics Department and assoicate director of the East Asian Research Center. He also chaired the special student-Faculty committee that authored the 1969 report establishing the Afro-American Studies Department.

Lindzey was imported only this year to head the gargantuan Department of Psychology and Social Relations, combined by Faculty vote last Spring. His recent entrance into the Cambridge scene is considered a drawback to his candidacy, but it is believed offset by his extensive administrative experience at the Universities of Texas and Minnesota.

Neither man has the deanship sewn up, however, the sources stressed. Bok could always reverse field and opt for a candidate he had previously discarded, or select someone like H. Stuart Hughes, Gurney Professor of History and Political Science, who is believed still in the running, or even pick someone as yet unmentioned.

Bok stressed last week that he has consulted all sections of Faculty opinion in the search and that he is keeping all his options open. The speculation at the Faculty Club continues, and it will only be laid to rest when he makes the formal decision.