Union, Faculty Club Robbed; Crime Increases During Break

Thefts and vandalism during the Spring recess more than doubled the losses due to crime this year. But Robert Tonis, chief of University police, said yesterday that the increase from the $70,000 as of March 31 to more than $170,000 last week does not indicate a wave of crime increase.

Tonis explained that the increase of over $100,000 during spring recess is mainly due to the theft of eight ancient Greek coins from the Fogg Art Museum. The value of the coins is estimated at over $100,000.

During the weekend of April 1, $200 in cash was stolen from the vault of the Faculty Club and a $500 television set was stolen from the Freshman Union.

Charles L. Coulson, manager of the Faculty Club, said that the vault was left unlocked by an inexperienced clerk. Although the Club is closed during the weekend, employees and guests go in and out of the premises. Coulson said that the possibility of a thief or vandal entering the premises was very high.

Lewis J. Tolleson Jr., manager of the Freshman dining hall, said that there is indication of organization and forethought in the theft of the television set. He said that an iron post normally located on the first floor was found near the door of the lounge on the second floor of the Union.

Tolleson said that the door glass panel was broken with the iron post and the burglar did not touch the pinball machines.

George E. Christodoulo '71, secretary of the Freshman Union, said that the professional removal of the metal pieces bolting down the television set is a strong sign of premeditation.

Christodoulo said that there will not be a replacement set of similar quality till next Fall.

The Freshman Union Board will confer with George A. Hill, University police sergeant, on possible security improvements for the Freshman Union building on April 23.