Harvard Subdues Quakers' Challenge To Triumph, 6-3

The Harvard tennis team turned back a strong Penn squad yesterday, 6-3, in a tune-up for what is expected to be a classic struggle this afternoon against Navy.

The Crimson took four matches in singles competition and two in doubles to thwart the Quakers in yesterday's action in Philadelphia.

Harvard took wins at number two, three, five and six singles to grap a 4-2 lead going into the doubles round. The most impressive Harvard win came at number two, where Gary Reiner beat Larry Lobe 6-3, 6-4. Crimson coach Jack Barnaby was especially pleased with Reiner's performance, calling Lobe a "really tough player" and the match "a strong win."

At number three John Ingard came back three times from being down match point to top Harry Swartze 3-6, 7-6, 6-3. Randy Barnett at number five for Harvard added another win for the Crimson, turning back Andy Finn 5-7, 7-6, 6-3.

At number six Harvard's Chip Beard turned back Rich Gerber 6-3, 6-2. The Crimson's Ken Lindner lost to Penn's Steve Yellin 6-1, 6-4, and Tom Loring at number four dropped two 7-6 matches to Harry Benham to give the Crimson its two losses in singles.

In doubles competition the number two and three teams picked up triumphs. Lindner and Gardner Rowbowtham topped Benham and Swartze 6-3, 7-5, and Reiner and Ingard topped Al Sadkowski and Tom Melton 6-4, 7-5.