Penn Smashes Hapless Stickmen, 11-1

Quakers Play Fast, Open Game

By Philip Weiss

In lacrosse action Saturday, it was only when the ice cream man rolled on the to the sideline--midway through the second quarter--that the Crimson stickmen began to control the ball and contain the Pennsylvania scoring threat; but even that was too late, as the impotent ten went down for its sixth loss, 11-1.

The Quakers, playing a fast-moving and open offensive game, jumped to a 4-0 advantage halfway through the first period, then climbed to an 8-1 edge before the vendor's entrance. With the added inspiration, Harvard defensemen limited the Penn offense to one goal in the next 19 minutes, but their counterparts upfield just couldn't get it in.

Honed Execution

Penn's first half spate was marked neither by the domination and penetration of Navy nor the harum-scarum boldness of Williams, but by a honed execution, by cutting midfielders, and by hard, mid-air shots.

Midfielder Steve Solow scored first-and his first of three-on an assist from attackman Steve Cenkner, over Harvard goalie Brian Everist's right shoulder. Three minutes later, Cenkner hit Solow again, for a 2-0 lead.

Penn's leading scorer on the season, attackman Jon Bock, got into the act next, quick-sticking home an errant bounce in front of the Harvard net.

Bock conspired on the fourth and most breathtaking Red and Blue tally, feeding streaking attackman, Steve Cohen, on the left side of the crease. Cohen, even with the goal post and still flying, flipped the ball behind his back and into the net.

Harvard at last began to take shots, but most of them were high or wide imitations of Penn scorchers. However, on a busted play, at 10:15 in the first stanza, attackman Jim Quinn recovered the ball behind the goal, and hit middy Andy Anderson on the crease, for the lone Crimson tally.

But the Quakers only responded with four goals in 10 minutes. Cenkner landed his third assist, this time to midfielder Tim Lyon, who was wide open on the right side of the crease.

With 15 seconds left in the first quarter, Cohen added a garbage goal, batting in a loose ball that had richocheted off Everist's chest.

In the second quarter, attackman Steve Cooper, on a bounce shot, and Bock, off of an assist from busy middy Irv Brookstein, added points to make it 8-1 at the half.

Cooper earned a hat trick in the third quarter with two more goals, both when circling the crease and on lobs over Everist's shoulders. Solow had opened the period with an unassisted tally, past the screned netminder.

The fourth quarter went scoreless, with Harvard controlling the ball over Penn's reserves.

At times, the Crimson midfield was galvanized by Penn pressure, and with the return of Bob Frisbie even managed some gutsy and frantic passing clears. But in contrast with the open and controlled Penn offensive game, Harvard attackers formed a confused and tangled mass in front of the goal.

Captain John Hagerty, with 8 of Harvard's 21 shots, and Charlie Kittredge, who led a fine defensive effort, performed well for Harvard.