PRESIDENTIAL HOAX

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

President Nixon's 1968 Presidential campaign pledge to abolish the Congressional Slave Act, euphemistically called Selective Service, has turned out to be just as big a phony as was his promise to end the Vietnam War, which he extended instead to all of Indochina. By insisting upon the retention of the entire fabric of the old Selective Service Act at an annual cost of some 50-odd million dollars, he makes this promise absolutely meaningless. He apparently has no more respect for his promises than von Bethmann-Hollweg, as Chancellor, had for Germany's treaty obligation not to violate Belgium's neutrality during WWI, calling it "a mere scrap of paper."

There never has been a time when the security of the United States required compulsory military service: not even during the days of sailing ships when mass armies could in theory at least, have been effectively used. We have never needed compulsory military service because of the nation's geographic position and the patriotic character of our youth.

In the days of space ships, compulsory military service becomes ridiculous and dangerously absurd, as well as obscene. Our involvement as an aggressor in Indochina is a prize example of this danger. Without this Congressional Slave act, this nation could not have, in my judgment, been led by its pactomania mad-men into a war of naked and raw agression upon a peasant people who have never threatened this nation's security in any way and could not, even if they wished, which they do not. Our youth are much too intelligent and sophisticated for such utter nonsense.

Those protesting the granting of amnesty to our Boys who refused to murder, maim and wound in an illegal, immoral and genocidal war, obviously do not even know the meaning of the word amnesty. These Boys have committed no crime, therefore they do not need a pardon. They are among our very best young people, and our nation badly needs their intelligent and patriotic service.

What is most urgently needed now is a radical reduction in our military forces, military budget, and a comprehensive reorientation of our national priorities.

All our overseas forces should be brought home now. All foreign aid, now largely military in character, should be ended until our urgent domestic priorities are met, and if and when resumed, should be funnelled through the United Nations; and all ancillary military forces, such as the ROTC and Reserves, should be ended forthwith. The latter two only serve now as a lobby for the maintenance of a large, agressive military force.

Military conscription must be abolished outright. Otherwise, nothing can prevent this nation from becoming a military-police state. Hugh B. Hester   Brig. General U.S. Army [Ret.]