Fights Over High Schools

THE COMMUNITY:

Getting new schools when money is tight is like pulling teeth from an uncooperative grizzly. Neither job is every easy, and both are likely to bring on stormy reactions.

The Cambridge School Committee Tuesday night concluded a three-year tug-of-war for new high school facilities by approving a $23.4 million construction package that will give Cambridge two completely new high schools. The two present high schools, Rindge Tech and Cambridge High and Latin, will both be razed in favor of the new buildings.

However, while the approval of the new building plan was officially unanimous (4-0, with three absences), the move has brewed a storm of reaction. The furor is based mainly on the Committee's decision to re-build both Rindge and Latin rather than renovating Rindge within the existing structure and re-building Latin alone. The renovation plan would have been approximately $3 million cheaper than the one adopted.

Recommended Articles

Cambridge's Minority Students Have Higher Dropout Rate
Minority students have higher dropout and suspension rates than whites and are offered fewer special educational programs in the Cambridge
CRLS Students Decry Media
After a rash of negative media publicity over two recent stabbings, Cambridge Rindge and Latin students insist they've gotten a
Tracking Move Doubted
Parents of students at Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School expressed mixed reactions to a city task force's recommendation to
City Bitties
There won't be much disco or New Wave, but those in attendance at the Cambridge High and Latin School's reunion
Cambridge Team Loses Tournament Game
The high school that spawned the careers of pro-basketball greats Patrick Ewing and Rumeal Robinson closed another season in the
Cambridge Captures State Hoop Title
A year ago, it was the wonder team of Massachusetts schoolboy basketball, led straight to the state title by a