CUE Will Survey 44 Large Courses For 'Confi Guide'

By Christopher H. Foreman

Beginning this week, the Committee on Undergraduate Education and the Office of Tests will administer an evaluation questionnaire to students in 44 General Education and departmental courses. The CUE will summarize the results of the poll in a booklet to be published next Fall.

Robert J. Kiely, associate dean for Undergraduate Education and chairman of the CUE, said Tuesday that the courses selected for the survey are those with a high freshman enrollment. He added that he hopes the results would be especially helpful to incoming freshmen selecting their courses.

The two-page questionnaire asks students to give their opinion on various aspects of a course, including lectures, sections, labs, reading lists and grading. It rates each aspect on a one-to-fie scale.

Michael T. Williams '74, chairman of the CUE subcommittee on course evaluation, said Tuesday that the survey will provide more accurate information han The Crimson's Confidential Guide to Courses.

"The Confi Guide is prone to inaccuracies due to the traditional lack of response to its guestionnaires," he said. He added that the CUE should obtain a better sampling of opinion than the Confi Guide since the questionnaires will be handed out and completed in class.

Last Year's Survey

Bruce Collier, research assistant in the Office of Tests, said Tuesday that a similar survey of 7 courses was conducted last year but that the results were never made public because of its experimental nature.

Williams said that Harvey C. Mansfield, professor of Government, refused to allow the CUE to distribute the questionnaire in Government la, "Introduction to Political Philosophy." Mansfield could not be reached for comment.