Linksmen Crush MIT, Trinity, Retain Shot at NCAA Tourney

By Paul T. Shoemaker

The Crimson golfers kept up their excellent shooting yesterday as they executed a double slaughter, outdistancing MIT by 40 strokes and Trinity College by 45.

Tom Yellin shot an amazing 71--the first par of the year for Crimson golfers in competition--to lead the team to a total score of 387 on the Concord Country Club course.

Yellin shot three birdies and an eagle on four consecutive holes on the way to his par finish.

The double victory keeps alive the golfers's chances of being invited to Stillwater, Okla., at the end of June for the NCAA championships.

But before they have a shot at that invitation, the golfers will have to whip two tough customers--Yale and Princeton--this weekend in New Haven.

Princeton finished second in the Easterns last weekend, well ahead of Harvard, which came in ninth. Yale checked in at eighth, four strokes ahead of the Crimson golfers.

Steve McConnell, who shot an 80 yesterday, pointed out that the high finishes, as well as Yale's home advantage, will make the match a tough one for Harvard.

McConnell Optimistic

But, McConnell added, "I'm very optimistic. We have seven players who can shoot very well and we ought to get the five good rounds that we'll need."

McConnell pointed out that there is a good deal of irony in Harvard's golfing performance this year. The team is 11-3 overall and undefeated in Ivy League matches.

However, even though the Crimson may defeat every school in the Ivy League, the Ivy trophy is out of reach. That championship hinges on performance in the Easterns and four Ivy teams finished ahead of Harvard in that tournament.

The Crimson golfers, playing under conditions which McConnell described as ideal, had three golfers besides Yellin shoot below 80 yesterday. They were Quinn Smith at 78 and Art Burke and Hank Bannister at 79.

John Ellis joined McConnell at 80, while captain Skip Barry shot an 81.