Rock and Folk

The Souther, Hillman, and Furay Band is an attempt at a minor supergroup. With the exception of Souther, a marginally successful A.A. solo artist, the band has good credentials. Furay, one of the lesser-known members of the legendary Buffalo Springfield, left to form Poco, which concentrated mainly on country-rock. Hillman went from the Byrds to the now defunct Flying Burrito Brothers, after which he spent some time with Stephen Stills's group, Manassas. Although not a critic's band, this group does have a hit single, "Falling in Love," which is gradually climbing the charts. Orpheum theater, October 11 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $4.50, 5.50, 6.50 and are available at the box-office, Minuteman-Soundscope, and Out-of-Town.

Jefferson Starship. If you can't stand the pretentiousness of Paul Kantner and Grace Slick, you might want to give a listen to the poignant vocals of former Airplane member Marty Balin. Unfortunately, he appears on only one cut of the Starship's latest release, so in retrospect, maybe it's better to forget this one. Music Hall, October 13 & 14. Tickets are $7.00, 6.00, and 5.00 and are available at the box office, Minuteman/Soundscope, Hub, Tyson and Out-of-Town news and at all Ticketron outlets. Concert time is 8 p.m.

The Marvin Gaye Show. This is Marvin Gaye's first tour in more than three years. This time he's added a show consisting of a sizeable back-up band, chorus, and an MC who goes by the name of Gorgeous George. Reliable sources tell me he's got to be seen to be believed. The live performance is representative of his album release, so unless you want to witness a living legend, it might be wiser to pick up the album. The concert's this Friday, October 11, 8:30 p.m. at the Boston Garden. Tickets are $10.00, 8.00, 6.00 and are on sale at the box office and all Ticketron outlets.

Sahara is a seven piece jazz-rock outfit whose home base just happens to be Harvard. They'll be at Dunster House Friday night at 8:30 p.m. Go see'em. The concert's free so at worst, all you can waste is your time.

Recommended Articles

Child's Claim to Fame
A NNE'LL TELL you about Poco. At the drop of a hat. She's told me about them more often than
University Hockey Practice Yesterday
The University hockey team held its first practice in the Holmes Field rink yesterday afternoon. The ice was good, and
Intercollegiate Hockey Meeting
There will be a meeting of the Intercollegiate Hockey Association at the St. Nicholas rink in New York at 7
University Hockey Notice
All men intending to try for the University hockey team should send their names and note of positions for which
Jubilee Committee Releases Program of May 1 Weekend
Two orchestras, candlelight suppers, and concerts by the Band and the Glee Club will feature this year's Freshman Jubilee slated
Ragged Playing by Hockey Team.
In a hard practice game yesterday the University hockey team defeated the substitutes by the score of 7 to 2.