Rock and Folk

Bonnie Raitt. Those who have repeatedly missed her can catch Bonnie Raitt at the Orpheum this Monday. Only this time it's going to run you double the price of her previous series of concerts: which is not to say you shouldn't go. Bonnie remains one of the few white, female vocalists who does justice to the blues. What's more, she has markedly increased her range of musical styles resulting in variety coupled with virtuosity. If for no other reason, Bonnie deserves praise for showing the world you don't need a Harvard diploma to make a name for yourself--she's a Radcliffe drop-out. Tickets are $6.00, 5.00, and 4.00.

Jackson Browne. It's too bad they didn't put Jackson Browne and Bonnie plementary styles are demonstrated by their interpretation of each other's material. Jackson's vocal style, however, is difficult to define. It's a kind of bluegrass-nasal which has been mellowed by his recent emphasis on family life. As for his back-up band, the center of attention will be focused upon a guitar mastermind whose credits include electric fiddle, in addition to lead, pedal steel, and slide guitar. Although you won't be able to see both Jackson and Bonnie in concert together, you can see them separately, monetary conditions permitting. As far as how they would have been together, that's left to the imagination. Orpheum theater, Oct. 18. Tickets are available at the box office, Out-of-Town, and Minuteman-Soundscope for $6.50, 5.50, and 4.50.

David Bromberg. Neither his guitar picking nor his compositional abilities can be challenged. It's unfortunate that David Bromberg sings, or tries to. Who knows, maybe his singing will be pardoned in the same manner that Dylan's was, in any case, Bromberg's performance is not to be missed. You can also console yourself in the charitable deed of helping WHRB to replace some of the equipment it had ripped-off this past summer. Bromberg will be at Sander's Theater Friday, Oct. 18 at 8 p.m. Tickets are available at Minuteman-Soundscope, Out-of-Town, and Holyoke Center tickets.