Harvard, Radcliffe Sailors Win During Weekend Regatta Slate

The Harvard and Radcliffe sailing teams captured trophies this past weekend during a hectic slate of regatta competition throughout New England.

The Harvard varsity squad captured a respectable fourth place in the two-day battle for the Danmark Trophy held Saturday and Sunday at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy on the Connecticut coast, attracting 15 strong squads.

Saturday was disastrous for the Crimson. Light and shifty winds forced the squad into many mistakes, and the team finished the day in a distant seventh position. But the winds favored the Harvard squad on Sunday as the team outscored all squads for the day. Saturday's deficit was too great to overcome, and the Crimson had to settle for fourth place overall.

Tim Black skippered the lark in the A Division, with Ogden Ross as his crew; Chris Hornig was skipper and John Ebel his crew in the B Division.

The rest of the Crimson sailors won the Donahy Bowl Sunday in Worcester with a thrilling, tie-breaker victory over a strong Tufts team.

Steve Saudek and David Poore manned one boat and Tony Leggett and Tom Reps secured the other.

Leggett had a tremendous day as he captured the triple crown in the three-race regatta. Tufts had a slim lead going into the third race until Leggett came through giving the Harvard squad the tying points.

Harvard won the tie-breaker on the basis of more first places, edging Tufts by a four-to-three margin.

Cliffe Winners

The Radcliffe team also emerged victorious on Sunday, captured the Emily Wick Trophy for lark sloops in a field of nine at MIT. The 'Cliffe squad was very consistent, grabbing firsts and seconds, and finished eight points ahead of Jackson and Wellesley who tried for second.

Marie Roehm, who was the low-point skipper at the NCAA Women's National championship in June, skippered the squad's boat, and Sarah Herrick and Lora Flemming split the crew duties.

The Crimson men also competed in the Dinghy Invitational held at B.U. on Sunday, finishing second behind a strong Tufts squad. Steve Saudek skippered one dinghy with Kevin Gaughen. Scott Hundahl and Peter Howe split the duties in the other boat.