Talent-Laden Crimson Icemen Are Prime ECAC Contenders

By Andrew P. Quigley

At the beginning of last season, people said that it would be a rebuilding year for the Harvard hockey team. Well, that team surprised everybody, finishing as the second best team in the East, and making its way to the NCAA semifinals only to be eliminated by the number one Western team, Michigan Tech, in a heartbreaking sudden-death overtime.

Well, if last year was indeed the "rebuilding" year, then this year's Harvard squad certainly has the potential not only to finish first in the East, but also to go all the way to the NCAA crown--although a team from across the river might have something to say about that.

Crimson coach Bill Cleary has a plethora of fast skating, high-scoring forwards returning from last year's team. Almost any coach would give his right arm to have just half of what Cleary has to work with.

Centers returning from last year are leading scorer captain Randy Roth, Leigh Hogan, and Kevin Carr, each of whom will center one of the three Crimson lines.

For wings, Cleary has a choice of Dan Bolduc, Kevin Burke, Paul Haley, Steve Dagdigian, Jim Thomas, Jim McMahon, Ted Thorndike, Wiz Wyatt, and Dave Gauthier, all of whom saw extensive varsity action last winter.

The goaltending situation also should be improved from last year, with junior returnees John Aiken and Jim Murray. As sophomores, these two split the goaltending chores last year, with Murray seeing more action, and both should be improved from last season. In addition, Cleary has an excellent goalie up from the freshman squad in Brian Petrovik, who just might beat out Aiken and Murray for the starting berth.

Defense is the potential Achilles heel for Harvard, as former captain Mark Noonan and All-Ivy Levy Byrd have graduated. Starters Steve Janicek and Eddie Rossi will anchor the defense, with Larry Piatelli and Todd Nieland having the edge for other two spots.

Then, of course, there is the unknown factor of the sophomores, and how they will help out. There are a lot of good skaters from last year's freshman squad, and some of them will certainly add to the Crimson's depth.