UNPLEASANT SURPRISES

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

You know, having once been one of the editors of the Williams College Record, I have to reflect on how sadly lacking in objectivity and accuracy is the Harvard Crimson in its "New Politics in New Hampshire" by Eric M. Breindel in your issue for Friday, February 8.

The opinion of The Crimson as to any merits or demerits that I may have is of small consequence, but slanting the facts is, I think, an unfortunate service to the readers of any publication, and Mr. Breindel certainly strayed very far from reality in his article.

First of all, the paper is not managed by B.J. McQuaid. The Manager of our paper is George Connell; Mr. McQuaid is Editor-in-Chief, and due to the amputation of one of his legs and the breaking of one of his hips twice, he has been almost completely inactive this last year or more.

Next, Mr. Thomson is not a John Birch Society supporter, nor is he the personal creation of myself.

Governor Thomson has not ordered the building of an oil refinery in Durham. Aristotle Onassis has proposed a $600 billion refinery in the seacoast area, but this matter is still very much under discussion by various groups throughout the state.

Governor Thomson never advised any protesters to move out of the state.

Homosexuality is not popular in New Hampshire, and the Governor's position and our newspaper's position against homosexuality entirely aside from being biblically and morally correct, is also politically popular, so this is not an issue that has backfired on Governor Thomson except in the morally fetid atmosphere of Cambridge, Massachusetts.

I did not run an article titled "Kissinger the Kike." This was run in the Sunday paper, and was written by Mr. McQuaid. It was not an attack on the Jewish people, but a comment on the fact that Mr. Nixon's harshest critics happen to be Jewish, and this is a rather strange combination.

No newspaper in the state has been quite as strong in supporting Israel as has been the Manchester Union Leader. This support dates back to 1956 when "Dopey Dwight" Eisenhower was stupid enough to play the Russians' game and bring about the return of the combined Israeli-French-English Expeditionary Force against Nasser. Had things been different, we would not today have Russia's influence in the Middle East and probably not had the subsequent tragic wars.

Ours is the only paper in the nation that prints a Hanukah message over the top of the masthead on that occasion.

We have never advocated the emigration of blacks to Africa. We have simply frankly said we hope that there is a minimum of black emigration to New Hampshire because inevitably, unfortunately, it seems to bring with it a certain increase in crime.

So much for your misstatement of facts.

As to your final conclusion that "Americans are no longer afraid of communism, of creeping socialism, of homosexuals, or of foreigners"--if they are not, then the nation is in for some very unpleasant surprises.

I always marvel at the capacity of the liberal mind to conjure up conservative hobgob lins with which to frighten their followers into forgetting the chaos and the misery to which the practice of liberal doctrines have brought this once great nation. William Loeb   President, Manchester Union Leader