125 Career Women Meet at Institute's Funding Workshop

A Radcliffe Institute workshop designed to clarify research funding possibilities for professional women met Saturday, in an attempt to "keep women who are crawling out of the woodwork from crawling on their knees," Susan Storey Lyman '49, acting dean of the Institute and co-chairman of the workshop, said yesterday.

Lynn M. Slavitt, co-organizer of the workshop and director of Research for Social Change Inc., a new Cambridge organization designed to assist independent women researchers, emphasized that the "pilot workshop" was experimental. "We wanted a scrambled group," Slavitt said yesterday, adding that the 125 female participants were chosen from a range of fields, particularly those of health, sociology and education.

Slavitt said the meeting was a way toward "setting up for women the networks and connections that have existed between male fund raising groups for some time."

Five concurrent workshops, which included a panel of representatives from various fund raising organizations, met to discuss the fundamentals of writing proposals to obtain research grants. One woman evaluated the Radcliffe Institute as "a source of research" and "an access to grant opportunities for women.