Harvard J.V.'s Defeat Bulldogs, 8-1

End 13-3-1 Season

The Harvard junior varsity hockey team, powered by the efforts of the senior line of Al MacMillian (3 goals), Rick Cowen (1 goal, 2 assists), and Fred Paul (4 assists), crushed the Yale J.V.s, 8-1, Saturday afternoon at Watson Rink.

Harvard opened the scoring at 5:50 of the first period when Paul sent in MacMillian alone on a neat pass through the middle. The Yale goalie came out a bit to cut down the angle, but MacMillian deftly pulled the puck to his backhand and lifted it into the net over the sprawled Eli netminder.

The second goal, at 13:38, was a carbon copy of the first one. Cowen fed Paul with a long pass along the left-wing board at the Yale blue line, creating a 2-on-1 situation with MacMillian. Paul drew over the Yale defender and then fed MacMillian, who was again in alone on the Yale net, and the score was 2-0.

The trio clicked again just 21 seconds later, this time with Cowen and Paul outhustling the Eli defensemen in the corners, setting up MacMillian in the slot for a 15-foot wrist shot.

Harvard rounded out the first period scoring on a Pete Owens goal at 19:09, and school was out for the beleagured Elis.

The Crimson came out charging in the second period, scoring at 2:08 on a Tom Clarke 20 footer through a maze of players. Harvard continued to press in the Yale zone, but some fine Yale goaltending kept the Crimson off the board. Yale finally tallied at 16:05 on a 2-on-1 break, with Harvard goalie Larry Ward not having a chance.

The third stanza saw Harvard add three more goals. Cowen scored at 2:21 on a beautiful pass from Craig Thomas. Paul Howes talled on a short-handed effort at 4:25, and Owens got his second of the game at 8:11 to finish the scoring.

The Harvard defense corps, led by Larry Piatelli, played another standout game. Piatelli, who will certainly play for the varsity next year, crunched several Elis with hard body-checks, in addition to making several excellent offensive rushes from behind his own net.

Coach Robert Carr was jubilant over his charges' performances, and the runaway score enabled him to use all 19 of his players.

The win closed out a successful 13-3-1 season for the J.V.s. The Crimson team could easily have beaten many Division II Eastern Teams, as many of the Harvard players, such as Paul, who was the team's leading goal scorer, MacMillian, and Cowen could have started for almost any other ECAC team.