Crimson Nine Tops Lions In Thirteen Innings, 6-2

By Thomas Aronson

It took thirteen innings to do it, but Harvard's baseball squad finally squashed a surprisingly tough Columbia team, 6-2.

Superb pitching was the order of the day, as the Crimson's Jim Harrell went the first ten innings, scattering five hits. Norm Walsh finished the job by pitching out of bases-loaded situations in the 12th and 13th innings.

The Lions opened the scoring in the second inning, as Ron Pettinger unloaded a towering blast off Harrell for a home run and a 1-0 lead. Columbia made it 2-0 one inning later, but the Crimson hurlers then shut the door and left the matter up to the hitters.

Delayed Response

The Crimson offensive troops did not respond until the seventh inning, when Leon Goetz, in the midst of a 4 for 5 day at the plate, delivered a clutch base hit, driving in two and knotting the score.

Columbia made a serious bid to win the contest in the 12th inning, and only some fine fielding and clutch pitching saved the Crimson squad from defeat in its first EIBL game of the year.

With runners on first and second, third baseman Jim Thomas made a game-saving stab at a hot grounder, stepping on third for the first out of the inning. Following a walk, Walsh got down to business, recording a strikeout and forcing a groundout to end the rally.

It was Harvard's turn in the top of the 12th and the Crimson did not let the opportunity slip by. Thomas delivered the game-winning hit, as he knocked in Dan Williams from second with a single.

Hot Hitting Hogan

Leigh Hogan followed Thomas with another base hit, capping off a 3 for 6 day at bat, and Goetz walked, loading the bases. Dave St. Pierre then delivered a sacrifice fly, and Joe Mackey singled, driving in the Crimson's final markers.

Thomas, chosen by coach Loyal Park to replace Jim Stoeckel at third base, had a rough day in the field, committing four errors. However, none came at a crucial time and the junior then came up with a dramatic defensive gem in the 12th.

The bottom of the 13th saw another Lion uprising snuffed out. With the bags loaded again, Walsh fielded a tapper back to the box and flipped it to Williams at home, who then fired on to Hogan at first for the final out.