Crimson Varsity Golfers Blast Bruins, 404-431

By Gordon Rutledge

For 45 minutes it looked like the Brown golf team wouldn't find the country club at Brookline and when they arrived they still couldn't find it, as the Harvard clubmen drubbed them, 404-431, yesterday.

"We didn't play up to our capabilities, but we were happy to win," junior Tom Yellin said yesterday after the match.

He said that no one on the team putted well, only partially because of the cold, and cited Brown's inexperience as the Crimson's greatest advantage.

Sophomore Bob Thompson and junior Steve McConnell each shot a 79 to lead the Crimson scoring. Co-captain Quin Smith was next on the roster with an 81. Junior Tom Yellin and co-captain Art Burke finished with 82 and 83 strokes, respectively.

"We didn't play well, but they played worse," Art Burke said yesterday. "I think we're beginning to feel the effects of travel and five competitive outings this week."

The team traveled Wednesday to Williams' home green, the Taconic Country Club, for a tri-meet. They overcame the stiff competition and the colder, stiffening weather to win with a score of 398. Williams also had a 398 and the victory was decided only by the scores of the sixth men. Boston College wasn't close, with a score of 420.

"It was a good win, even though the conditions were abominable," Yellin said yesterday.

Thompson again put in a fine performance with a 78, as did Smith, carding an identical score. McConnell came through with 80 strokes and Burke and Yellin finished with 81.

The golf squad's record now stands at 6-1, with their only defeat a loss to Penn.

The team is idle this weekend and Burke said that the team will most likely spend the time recuperating. They will resume their schedule next Wednesday against Holy Cross at the Concord Country Club. Thursday they will travel to Cornell, this year's site of the Easterns.

"We are really looking forward to next Thursday. It will help us get primed for the Easterns and we think we have a good chance of winning," Yellin said.