Executive of C.E. Maguire Inc. Says Firm's Integrity Upheld

By Mark J. Penn

An executive of C. E. Maguire Inc., the firm conducting an environmental review of the proposed John F. Kennedy Memorial Library, said yesterday that his firm "rested its case" on a General Service Administration's review of allegations against its integrity.

Professional Integrity

The GSA report, made public last week, concluded that the firm had acted "in a manner consistent with the preservation of its professional integrity" in the preparation of a study for the Massachusetts Port Authority.

However, the GSA investigation also found "inadequacies and inconsistencies" in Maguire's report on a new shipping facility for East Boston, and pointed to "circumstantial" evidence that the firm had altered the report under pressure from its client.

William F. Lawless, Maguire's director of the Massport feasibility study, explained that his firm's report made no community environmental conclusions because it expected a separate environmental impact study to be conducted on the site.

The GSA review concluded that Maguire's omission of environmental findings was "poor" and "at odds with current trends."

Lawless also dismissed as unimportant any inconsistencies in the report. "The GSA is referring to the inconsistencies between the draft and final report, and there will always be differences between them," he said.

He also denied that the firm altered its draft after submission to Massport last September.